This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests/visitors.
Access Statement for East Farm Holiday Cottage
East Farm Holiday Cottage is a very comfortable annexe to the owners' stone-built farmhouse, in a quiet position on the hillside, less than a mile from the charming village of Middleton-in-Teesdale. Set in the stunning Durham Dales, it offers superb panoramic views south and south west across the Tees Valley, along which both the Pennine Way and the Teesdale Way paths.
The cottage sleeps up to three people and has first floor two bedrooms.
For full details and maps of how to reach us please see the directions section of our website. Alternatively, you can plan your journey by car or public transport using www.transportdirect.info; simply enter your postcode and ours, which is DL12 0RR to get directions.
- The nearest mainline railway station is Darlington which is 26.5 miles away. Taxis are available at the station. If you require an accessible taxi this can be booked in advance, see contact information for details. (There is also a railway station at Kirby Stephen, 20.7 miles away, on the minor line from Leeds to Carlisle ).
- Arriva busses 75 and 76 and Scarlett Band busses 84 and 85 travel from Darlington to Barnard Castle and Scarlett Band busses 95 and 96 make the onward journey to Miiddleton-in-Teesdale (see Contact Information section for links to bus timetables). The nearest bus stop is in the village of Middleton-in-Teesdale, 1400 yards or 1300 metres from the cottage.
- The property is accessed down a stone track of 75 metres/ 82 yards from the public road.
Key Collection, Welcome and Car Parking
- The key can be collected from the owners at the adjoining property (East Farm)
- Parking is available for two cars on a level and firm grass area accessed through a farm gate. The parking space is 28 yards/ 26 metres from the cottage door. There is one step of 200 mm/ 7 .9ins or down from the parking area to the flagstone and concrete area around the door of the cottage. This area is accessed via a gate (2550 mm /8 feet 4 inches wide) which can be fastened back to ease access.
- The route from the car parking to the cottage is lit at night by a fixed light and additionally in part by a motion sensor light.
Entrance to Property
- The front door is 750mm/29.5ins wide, with a minimum opening of 670mm/26.5 inches.
- There are 2 steps, each of 10mm/4ins, to the front door.
- The entrance is well lit at night by a motion sensor light
- The floor covering inside the entrance is short pile carpet, with an additional mat by the door.
Halls, Stairs, Landings, Passageways
- The minimum width within the hall is 860mm/33.9ins and the stair width is 850mm/33.5ins. Each has a short pile carpet and is well lit by ceiling lights.
- The staircase to the first floor has 13 steps and there is a handrail on the left hand side as you ascend.
- At the top of the stairs is a small landing of 920 by 1050 mm/3ft by 3.4ft.
- The cottage features an open plan living area with a sitting / dining area and a kitchen.
- The sitting room/lounge area is situated on the ground floor with level entry from the end of the hallway.
- The door opening is 730mm/28.7ins wide.The room has a mixture of seating with a two person settee and an arm chair together with a nest of small tables.
- Furniture can be moved.
- There is a digital television with remote control, subtitles, and a DVD player.
- Lighting is natural daylight and at night by a ceiling light as well as table lamp.
- There is flooring with a loose rug to one side of the room. The rug can easily be removed on request.
- Flooring is wood laminate.
- The kitchen is situated on the ground floor with step free, level access from the end of the hallway.
- The door opening to the kitchen from the hallway is 730mm28.7ins wide.
- The cooker has two ovens. The door of the top oven drops down and the bottom of the oven is 570mm/22.4ins above the floor. The bottom oven has a side opening and the bottom of the oven is 90mm/3.5ins above the floor. The hob is 910mm/36.6ins above the floor.
- Worktop and sink are 910mm/35.8ins above the floor.
- Fridge with freezer compartment available, the bottom of the freezer compartment is 590mm/23.2ins above the floor and the bottom of the salad drawer is 60mm/2.4ins above the floor.
- The lowest shelf of the wall cupboards containing glasses, crockery and utensils is 1380mm/54.3ins from the floor. Glasses and crockery can be moved to lower cupboards on request.
- The kitchen is evenly lit with ceiling spotlights. There is an additional light with the extractor fan over the cooker.
- There is a solid wood table (650mm/25.6ins clear height underneath the table), with four armless wooden straight back chairs. The chairs have cushions, but these can be removed
Bedrooms and Sleeping Areas
- Leading off from the landing upstairs, there is one bedroom with a zip link king-size bed to the left and one bedroom with a single bed to the right.
- The door to the double room is 740mm/29.1ins wide and that to the single room is 750mm/29.5ins wide.
- The double room is furnished with two bedside tables, a chest of drawers, a chair and a free-standing wardrobe. All the furniture is movable and can easily be rearranged. The room is well lit with a ceiling light and additional bedside lamps.
- The height of the zip link king-size bed from the top of the mattress to the floor is 625mm/24.6ins and that of the single bed is 580mm/22.8ins.
- The space next to the single bed is 700mm/27.6ins, whilst that next to the zip link king-size bed can easily be adjusted to meet the needs of the guest.
- The floors of the rooms are covered with short pile mid green carpets which give a good colour contrast with the pale walls. The doors are painted with white gloss.
- The bedding is non-feather.
Bathrooms, Shower-rooms and Toilets
- The shower-room is on the ground floor and has step free, level access.
- The door opening is 660mm/26ins.
- There is a separate shower with a raised lip of 160mm/6.2ins.
- The toilet is 434mm/17.1ins high.
- There is a pedestal wash basin which is 810mm31.9ins high and has cross head taps.
- The floor is covered with cork tiles which give a good colour contrast with the pale walls. The doors are painted with white gloss.
- The room is well lit with a ceiling light.
- The utility room is a separate building on the left hand side as you access the cottage. It is reached by a single step of 100mm/3.9ins.
- The door opening is 700mm/27.6ins wide.
- There is a sink (height from the floor: 880mm/31.5ins) with a cross head cold water tap and a water heater with a turn tap.
- There is a front loading washing machine; the handle of which is 455mm/17.9ins above the ground.
- There is a front loading tumble drier; the handle of which is 460mm/18.1ins above the ground. There is an upright freezer; the handle of which is 675 mm/26.6ins above the ground.
- The room is lit by a fluorescent ceiling light.
- The flooring is constructed of flagstones.
- The garden is accessed by a gravel path which runs alongside the cottage. The minimum width of the path is 1100mm/43.3ins, but the width of the gateway into the garden is 610mm/24ins.
- The garden consists of a patio area of 375mm/14.8ins x 373mm/14.7ins and a lawned area with a small flowerbed of 356mm/14ins x 346 mm/13.6ins.
- There are three stone steps between the patio area and the lawn (128mm/5ins, 147mm/5.8ins and 167mm/6.6ins).
- On the patio there is a 4 person patio set (metal table with a toughened glass top at a height of 720mm/28.3ins and 4 chairs with seats 440mm/17.3ins high)
- Trained assistance dogs are welcome. The cottage garden is enclosed and there is a separate toilet area for dogs. It is usually possible to offer a large exercise area for assistance dogs and to provide animal water bowls, towels etc.
- Mobile reception is fine for most providers.
- Free Wi-fi is available within the cottage.
- The village doctors' surgery is Old Forge Surgery at Hill Terrace, Middleton-In-Teesdale, DL12 0QE 01833 640217 website http://www.oldforgesurgery.net
- The nearest vet is Castle Veterinary Surgeons, Montalbo Rd, Barnard Castle, County Durham DL12 8ED 01833 695695
- The nearest A& E department is Darlington Memorial Hospital, Hollyhurst Road, Darlington, County Durham, DL3 6HX 01325 380100
- Please check our web-site http://www.eastfarmcottage.co.uk for further information and photos of the cottage.
- Further information is in the welcome folder.
- To maintain a Facebook page with regular postings (aiming for two a week), so that potential customers can learn more about the immediate area prior to booking.
Address (Inc postcode): East Farm, Stanhope Road, Middleton-in-Tessdale, Barnard Castle, County Durham DL12 0RR
Telephone: 01833 641494
Grid Reference: Latitude 54.630913, Longitude -2.079024 OS grid reference : NY950263
- Middleton Care Ltd, Phone: 01833 640 196, 6 Bridge St.,Middleton-in-Teesdale, Barnard Castle, Durham DL12 0QB
- Castle Care Teesdale Phone: 01833 690 415 Unit 15bc Redwell Court, Harmire Enterprise Park, Harmire Road, Barnard Castle, Durham DL12 8BN
Local Equipment Hire:Teesdale Disability, 5 Market Place, Barnard Castle, County Durham DL12 8NF, 01833 631 000 Fax: 01833 631 000
Local Accessible Taxi: Station : 01325 382222 (please check availability and suitability before travelling.)
Local Public Transport:See Pre-Arrival section - timetables for these routes can be found at : www.scarletbandbuses.co.uk/timetables.php and www.arrivabus.co.uk/serviceInformation.aspx?id=34359739196
In addition on Wednesdays there is a bus service from Middleton to Langdon Beck : http://durham.pindarcreative.co.uk/tt/73.pdf
Last updated 21/03/15